Professional Development Resources
Below is a listing of local and national professional development opportunities, ranging from weekend-long courses to advanced degree programs in a variety of fields related to commercial real estate. Please contact Rachel Meyer to provide other resources and/or recommendations.
Universities/Colleges Adult Education Professional Associations
- Center for Professional Education: Students may enroll in a single course or pursue a curriculum path. Several of the real estate courses are offered in conjunction with professional trade associations, including the Institute for Real Estate Management (IREM), the Real Estate Finance Association (REFA), and the Greater Boston Real Estate Board. The Center offers several certificate programs including a Certificate in Commercial Real Estate, a Certificate in Real Estate Finance, and a Certificate in Facilities Management. Click here for a listing of available courses.
- Metropolitan College: Boston University's Metropolitan College offers part-time graduate and undergraduate degrees as well as certificate and diploma programs in real estate related areas. Courses are offered in the evenings. Students may enroll in a single course without applying to a degree program. The Urban Affairs program (available at the undergraduate and graduate levels) offers several courses that may be of interest to a real estate professional including environmental law and a real estate development course. Click here for a listing of all urban affairs courses offered at MET.
- Graduate School of Design: Offers a full-time Master in Design Studies which is designed to prepare graduates for careers in real estate development, finance and other private and public sector positions in urban development.
In addition, the Graduate School of Design also offers executive education programs for business and government leaders. Click here to learn more about the executive education programs including open enrollment seminars (one to five day seminars that cover topics in architecture, urban planning, health care, educational facilities and residential design), admissions programs (candidates are selected through an admissions process and, if selected, will study topics in real estate that are specifically geared toward developers, owners, financiers, senior public officials, leaders of community-based development corporations, and other real estate professionals) and customized programs (customized programs are developed upon request from an organization, company, or specific group).
Finally, NAIOP National and Harvard have partnered to present the annual program, Leading a Real Estate Company. The three-day program allows CEOs and top management to think in new and different ways and to gain a thorough understanding of successful strategies for real estate company management. More than 50 senior executives from real estate companies across North America participate in the program each year. You must apply for an appointment to the class. Click here for additional information on this exciting program.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- MIT Center for Real Estate:
The Center offers a one-year Master's degree program in real estate development (MSRED) as well as a respected summer institute of professional development courses. The Master's degree is designed to be completed in 11 months of intensive full-time study (fall, spring and summer terms). Click here for more information on the full-time MSRED program.
Take 10% off when you register for one of the July courses. Use code: NAIOP
The Center's Professional Development Institute of short professional development courses (courses usually take 2 full days) keeps members of the industry abreast of trends in their field and a chance to meet and consult with academic and business experts. Click here for more information on the Center's Professional Development Institute and the courses available.
- MIT Sloan School of Management: MIT offers a full-time MBA program with select courses that could be applied to a career in real estate. One must apply and be accepted to the program to take courses. Course material from select Sloan courses is available online through its OpenCourseWare (OCW) Initiative. OCW is a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world. You do not need to be enrolled to access this material. Click here to access free course materials - including course materials for real estate classes.
- McCallum Graduate School of Business: Offers a Master of Science in Real Estate Management (MSREM). One of the only master's-level real estate programs in New England, the MSREM develops the newly specialized skills in management, marketing and finance that industry professionals need. Created in collaboration with members of the corporate community, the program prepares graduates for the competitive environment of commercial and residential real estate. Click here to learn about the MSREM curriculum and more.
- College of Professional Studies: CPS offers college courses, short-term training programs and undergraduate and graduate degrees for part-time students. Students can enroll in a single course or apply to a degree program. Graduate admissions is on a rolling basis and students are accepted year-round. CPS offers Executive and Professional Development programs in real estate (geared for those interested in becoming a broker), building and construction technology, architecture, engineering licensing preparation, and facilities management. Click here for a full list of courses and certificates available.
- Boston Center for Adult Education: The BCAE provides educational opportunities for adults that foster personal and professional development. Courses may meet once a week over the course of several weeks or may be one-time seminars. Several courses on real estate issues including Tenant and Landlord Law as well as Investing in Real Estate are offered.
- Brookline Adult & Community Education: The Brookline Adult & Community Education (BA&CE) is one of the oldest non-credit, public education programs in Massachusetts. It is now the largest public program in the state, with close to 1,800 courses and over 20,000 enrollments yearly. Courses focus primarily on residential real estate, but frequently offer one-time courses on issues affecting commercial real estate. Click here for a list of courses available.
- The Cambridge Center for Adult Education: The Cambridge Center is a non-profit organization which has offered education for adults for 72 years in Harvard Square. Courses change each semester. Click here for a full list of available courses.
- Newton Center for Adult Education: NCAE is similar to the adult education organizations listed above and offers many of the same classes. In addition, it has the greatest number of courses that apply to commercial real estate including: Commercial Leasing, Appraisal, 1031 Exchanges, Hazardous Waste, and Title V: Septic Management.8
- NAIOP Corporate: NAIOP Corporate, our parent organization, offers commercial real estate professionals a wide variety of courses, meetings and conferences. Annual programs include the Development Conference, a Capital Markets Conference, the National Forums Symposium and Chapter Leadership and Legislative Retreat. The NAIOP Center for Education offers online courses on topics including development, finance, investment and real estate law, as well as two certificate programs. View NAIOPís list of conferences and education programs
- NAIOP Massachusetts offers breakfast programs and educational seminars for members and non-members throughout the year. Click here to view all upcoming NAIOP Massachusetts educational events.
- Certified Commercial Investment Member Institute (CCIM): CCIM provides classroom and online courses for professionals in commercial and investment real estate. The curriculum incorporates financial analysis, market analysis, user decision analysis and investment analysis. CCIM candidates receive a discount on courses. Click here for a list of all available courses.
- International Council of Shopping Centers: The Shopping Center industry is constantly changing, requiring the most up-to-date information and training. ICSC provides over 250 meetings and conferences worldwide each year comprised of deal-making and networking opportunities as well as educational sessions. ICSC also offers a wide variety of certification programs, online classes, study tours, seminars, and workshops taught by the most experience industry leaders. The educational programs and conferences are targeted specifically to shopping center industry professionals, but can also be helpful to those involved in all areas of commercial real estate. All of ICSCís conferences and educational programs are available to both members and non-members. Click here for a full list of all ICSC educational offerings.
- Institute of Real Estate Management: IREM offers classroom, online and home study educational programs for real estate management professionals (members and non-members). IREM also offers professional development seminars throughout the year. For additional information on courses held in the Boston area click here.
- Urban Land Institute : The Urban Land Institute, an international organization for land use and real estate professionals, offers conferences, meetings, study tours and continuing education in topics related to commercial real estate. One day workshops on real estate development are held throughout the world, online workshops, professional development certificates in real estate development and real estate finance, and a two-week real estate school offered once a year are also available. Courses are available to members and non-members. ULI programs count toward continuing education credits for SIOR, AIA, AICP, ASLA, BOMI, and others.
- Greater Boston Real Estate Board: GBREB is divided into five divisions: Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), Commercial Brokers Association (CBA), Real Estate Finance Association (REFA), Rental Housing Association (RHA), and the Greater Boston Association of Realtors (GBAR). Each represents a different sector of the real estate community and each offers courses in their specialty area that are open to members and non-members. Continuing education credits are available. Click here for a full list of upcoming courses and events.